Welcome

Welcome to my Good Eats blog, here you will find taste tests, food product reviews, recipes and some restaurant reviews.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

El Alazan Restaurant-Windsor Colorado


Closed and reopened as a new restaurant Sol de Jalisco

January 11, 2012
The godfather wanted to take me out for lunch for my birthday so we decided to come to this place since I really enjoy Mexican and I had heard that El Alazan was good.  I had been here once previously, but all I remember was that I did not care for the chile rellenos.


The first thing I noticed is the walls decorated with various Mexican things like sombreros and chairs being painted with various Mexican themes. 
After we were seated, we were brought chips and salsa; the chips were not anything special, but not anything bad either. I did think the salsa was good, which came in a jar type thing with two dishes to pour the salsa into.  Then I turned to my menu, it took a while to find what I wanted on the menu since they have so many combinations listed. 
It took time but we finally figured out what we wanted. I went with the number five combo which came with a beef enchilada, a cheese enchilada along with rice and beans (8.50).  The godfather had the number one combo that came with two beef enchiladas and a beef taco and the choice of rice or beans, he chose the beans. So we continued eating the chips and salsa and continued our sports talk while we waited. Not too long after, our food arrived.
My plate looked good right away; the waiter sat down the godfather’s plate which had rice instead of beans.  He realized this right away and went back and brought back a plate of beans. I thought the enchiladas were very good, the sauce was pretty good. The beef was just basic beef and the cheese wasn’t like cheese at most places, I don’t know what kind it was but it was very good. I usually like Spanish rice more than the beans at most places, but the beans here were nice and creamy and were not over cooked and tasted very good. The rice was okay, it was a little on the hard side in places.   The godfather also said many times how good his meal was as well.  He seemed to have really enjoyed his enchiladas and taco and he also mentioned that he liked the beans.

Since it was my birthday they brought out a sombrero for me to wear and sang happy birthday to me, and brought a plate of sopapillas. They were not big sopapillas but 4 smaller triangles that were drizzled with honey and cinnamon with whipped cream in the middle. I thought these were very good and easier to eat than the big ones.

Getting to spend time with my godfather and having very good Mexican food with good service and birthday sopapillas made for a really great birthday lunch.





1345 Water Valley Pkwy # 300  Windsor, CO 80550-6224

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time! Love the blog... great stuff. Keep up the good work.

    Luke Brunner

    ReplyDelete