Welcome

Welcome to my Good Eats blog, here you will find taste tests, food product reviews, recipes and some restaurant reviews.

Monday, October 8, 2012

Red Barn Cafe & Hen House Bakery - Mount Vernon MO

September 7, 2012

This day we were traveling to St. Louis, so I searched on Google and on the internet that morning and found this place.  I wasn’t exactly starving, so I didn’t want a huge lunch.  Mom and I both had the soup and salad bar and dad went with the cheeseburger with fries.  After we ordered we headed for the salad bar. This was a pretty good salad bar everything appeared fresh and had all the basics you would expect on a salad bar. With a few other salads as well including one that looked alright with broccoli and various other things but after I found the raisins in it I wasn't too excited about. We returned to the table to find a plate of huge rolls and butter that came with the soup and salad bar. Then we had to go check out the soup bar which wasn't with the salad bar it was around the corner from it. There were probably five or six different soups.  I decided I would start with the chicken noodle and my mom found a vegetable beef soup to try. After we got back to the table with my soup and salad, my dad's burger arrived.
 
The salad I got was just a salad a good salad but still just a salad.
 
I really like the chicken noodle soup with nice thick noodles, good chicken, and a really good broth. This was the best chicken noodle soup I have ever had. My mom really liked her beef vegetable soup as well. After I was done with my soup I went back and tried another kind this time sausage gumbo. I don't know if I ever had gumbo before this but it was nice and spicy and delicious and I'm not exactly the biggest sausage fan. Then I thought I better get some more of the chicken noodle soup.
 
The dinner rolls that came with were huge, they were about the size of four normal dinner rolls. The butter that came with it was honey butter which was good but I would have preferred just regular butter. My dad thought his burger was really good as well, and he is still talking about. It was like a good burger that you could get in his younger days.
 
 
As we were paying at the counter I noticed the pies and cinnamon rolls which looked amazing.

This was a good old time restaurant with great homemade food.





107 W Mount Vernon Blvd
Mount Vernon, MO 65712
 

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment