Welcome

Welcome to my Good Eats blog, here you will find taste tests, food product reviews, recipes and some restaurant reviews.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Castillons family Mexican restaurant - Fort Collins Colorado


May 31, 2012

I felt like Mexican food again which is a normal occurrence for me.  I knew I wanted a chile relleno and thought why not try a new place.

We arrived about 12:30 and they said they would be with us in a moment, so in a moment they took us to a table and I think gave us the biggest one they could find for my mom and I. 

Not right away but in a few minutes the waitress brought a basket of chips and a bowl of salsa, I thought it was pretty good, nothing wild or different than a basic salsa.  But I also really like chips and salsa just about everywhere.  So we enjoyed the chips and salsa as we looked over the menu.  This didn’t take too long to decide what to get.  They had their lunch special in the menu, which was pick two items and came with rice and frijoles borachos (drunken beans).  We both ordered this with a chile relleno and a cheese enchilada (5.95) as well as two cokes which we ordered at the same time as the food and not before.   Right after our waitress left she was back with the cokes just in time since I just hit a hot spot in the salsa.  They were huge cups and I wondered how much they charged since I didn’t look.  I did find out later it was only $ 1.95 which I thought was a bargain and I definitely did not need a refill.  It didn’t seem to take too long until our waitress came back with the food. 

The chili relleno was an egg roll wrapper type relleno that was fried and crispy which is how I like them.  This was smothered in green chile, which tasted pretty good.  It had good flavor but wasn’t too hot.  The cheese enchilada was basic the enchilada part anyways, but the sauce was quite different than a normal enchilada sauce.  It was chili con carne and also tasted good.  I can’t remember ever having any kind of sauce with meat on top of enchiladas before, but it was the best part of the cheese enchilada.  The rice was good and the beans were actually more of a soup than the beans at most Mexican places.  They also had bacon in with the beans they were really quite good.  I put mixed some of my rice into the beans after a while and thought that was really good.



 



 
4010 South College Avenue  Fort Collins, CO 80525

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment