Welcome

Welcome to my Good Eats blog, here you will find taste tests, food product reviews, recipes and some restaurant reviews.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Mama Josephine's St. Louis Missouri


September 11, 2012

After our day at the Missouri botanical Gardens we headed down the street not very far to Mama Josephine’s. This is in a neat old corner building with maybe around 10 tables.

 
We arrived just after five, the sign on the door closed and reopened five, so someone ran up to the door and took it down right when we were getting there. The owner who is on Josephine's daughter welcomed us in and said we could sit wherever we would like. We had many choices at that point, so we picked a nice table by the window. Pretty quickly they took our drink orders and then give us time to look over the menu.  We Checked out the menu and looked around at the building. In a while we had decided what we wanted. My dad and I both decided to get the chicken fried steak. This came with two side dishes which I picked mashed potatoes and gravy and fried okra. The meal also came with cornbread or a roll; I took the roll because I really don't like cornbread. My mom wanted chicken and dumplings, but the waitress said it would be at least a half an hour till dumplings would be available, so she decided to get chicken fried steak as well.  
 
My mom and dad both got mashed potatoes and gravy and a salad. While we sat and waited, a few more people came in a few others had takeout orders.

 It did take a while for food did finally come.

 
I thought the chicken fried steak is good but not the greatest as was the fried okra, the mashed potatoes and gravy and quite tasty and was home homemade as was everything else. The roll was also very good but I only took a few bites since I filled up on everything else.
 
For dessert my dad decided to try the peach cobbler. This really took quite a while till it was brought out, but it was well worth the wait. For me it depends on the day and what kind of dessert if I like it, but this was one of them that I thought this was incredible and I wish I would've had my own and not just a sample. After we finished the owner came over to see how everything was. She was very friendly and liked to talk. So she told us about the place that they make everything fresh with her mother's recipes, which is why it takes a little longer to make everything. She also went on to talk about how the neighborhood used to be a bad neighborhood but has been cleaned up. After a bit we paid at the counter and got a free pen and we were on our way. While not anything, except for maybe the peach cobbler, was the greatest the food was homemade and done right. You could also tell that the owner was really into her business and cared tremendously about the quality.

 
 
 

4000 Shaw Avenue  St. Louis, MO 63110

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment